Saturday, January 9, 2010

V is for Vegan


I cheated yesterday. I had a handful of Oreos. They contain dairy. I also ate the rest of Charlie’s chocolate bar. Then I figured since I had already eaten dairy from the cream in the middle of Oreo I could have a glass of milk with it too. What was my excuse for all this debauchery? I am going to fall of the wagon from time to time. But that was so lame. I was choosing to fall of the wagon. Get it? I didn’t even try to say no. It was pathetic. I need to save my falling off the wagon times for real stressful situations like the time I went Christmas shopping at the mall with Charlie and Olivia. We were in the food court and there was a beautiful, gorgeous, I mean absolutely perfect Dolcefine Gelato store where the mounds of gelato were carefully and colorfully organized. I went as far as to stand in line with them but quickly realized I needed to leave. I left and found coffee bean where I ordered a hot tea that ended up being too hot to drink by the time the two were facing me with their piles of dripping gelatos. They were licking them with enjoyment and all I could think about was how I was missing out on the whole Christmas shopping experience. I actually didn’t give in. Not one lick. I had only started veganism a week prior. I wasn’t about to give in that easy, so actually that wasn’t a great example of me falling off the wagon but it was the hardest moment of staying on.

I started being vegan dec 6th. I stopped three weeks after that. I became freaked out that soy was bad for you. I needed to do more research on it. I actually had a stranger walk up to me in Whole Foods and tell me Soy was the worse thing I can put in my body. What the fuck? (oops, can Vegans say fuck?). Well I’m back. I started again January first. A great day to start anything new! During my first three weeks of Veganism I fell off the wagon once. I made a chocolate cream pie for Charlie and Olivia. Oh god, chocolate pudding is my favorite. I could not resist. I really did try and it does count as a falling off the wagon because I really wanted to stay true. Well of course since I had one piece of pie I ate another one later. I had already cheated right? The pie, the recent Oreos, glass of milk and chocolate bar pieces pretty much cover my failings. I don’t count the accident night. We had shrimp pot stickers and veggie gyozas in the freezer. They look exactly the same. I accidentally made the shrimp ones. I didn’t realize until I had bitten into the second one. Well damn it to hell. I finished them anyway. I was starving and I wasn’t about to wait 7 more minutes to steam the veggie ones.

Alicia Silverstone’s book, The Kind Diet is my bible right now. I love the book. It makes perfect sense! My first three weeks of Veganism went ok with the exception of the pie incident but I went hard core. Trying to cut out all refined sugar and white foods. I’m taking it easier this time around. I think if I graduate into eating my ideal diet I will sustain it for the long run.

The Journey is the Destination ~ Dan Eldon

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha. great! You are doing awesome, the best thing is that you are writing about "falling off the wagon" not being unrealistic about going at it fully when you are first starting.

    I think a lot of gelato (most fruit ones) is actually vegan, you should look that up.

    Also vegan: bacon bits for salads. (weird right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That thought crossed my mind.......about Gelato not having dairy. hmmmm

    ReplyDelete